#1 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 8 posts
  • Joined January 25, 2016
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

Found problem: metal thing on videocard melted
Right so I am pretty fucked. I am writing this on an alt as I don't any of my passwords with me.

Anyways yesterday I was playing Grim Dawn and everything was fine when suddenly my screen went black, and then my screen changed to a fucked up display of funky rainbow artifacts all over the screen, with a godawful noise blaring in my headphones.

I shut it off, and now when I start my PC, everything seems to look fine - I see all my lights and fans working, but my monitor stays black. It is as if it doesn't detect anything. I also noticed my keyboard doesn't seem to work.

I don't hear any POST beeps either, so I am at a loss as to what is wrong.(I also don't have any onboard speakers, and I am not sure if my headphones would pick up the beeps or not.)

I have tried cleaning it out, and there was a shit ton of dust. I also tried removing my ram and unplugging my video card to see if I can get any beeps. Nothing.  I have only 1 stick of ram, so I can't test more.

I have also attempted reseting my CMOS.

So far, I am convinced it is either my GPU, my PSU, or the whole fucking motherboard. I have no idea.

Also earlier yesterday my pc froze on the lock screen, and I had to force reboot. Another time, a few says before this, my screen got all fucked up and frozen and I had to reboot to fix that as well.

Pls help.

Edited by RevanFuckedHisShitUp, 26 January 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#2 TheBeePeeper

TheBeePeeper

• 11 posts
  • Joined January 7, 2016
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Have you tried another monitor perhaps?

#3 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostTheBeePeeper, on 25 January 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Have you tried another monitor perhaps?

Thought about it but I don't have any accessible to me at the moment, plus would my monitor really cause the lockups I was getting and my screen going on LSD?

#4 Valkyrie

Valkyrie

I can't think of anything witty to put here.

• 1844 posts
  • Joined September 9, 2012
  • Female

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

You said your keyboard also wasn't working, so it's probably a motherboard issue.

+UnrealIncident [17:14:54] valk is having problems with his server
WhatsCS [17:15:00] again?
@DerpyBot [17:15:01] That is Wordwang!

#5 DeCoolJB

DeCoolJB

• 1005 posts
  • Joined October 8, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationMiskolc

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Same thing happened to me several years back. It's a motherboard issue.
Jesus loves you.

#6 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

So I switched power outlets and on the other outlet I noticed the fans would rev up, slow down slightly, then rev back up to normal speeds.

I also managed to spam my caps key and got the capslock on, before it all froze up again. Could this be indicative of the PSU being fucked? Or is it still the mobo?

#7 blind7125

blind7125

• 3029 posts
  • Joined January 30, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationNether...

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Those truly are the best places to start. However, I would point the finger at your GPU more than anything, considering this sound like the exact issue with the notorious 970's.

Start with testing the PSU since it's an easily accessible part. Go to best buy, buy one with more wattage than yours (this is to make up for their shit efficiency there.), and plug her in. If the PC works, awesome. If not, return it, sign up for Amazon Prime trial, order a cheap mobo, and wait two days. Rinse and repeat testing steps with future hardware.

Right so I am pretty fucked. I am writing this on an alt as I don't any of my passwords with me.

I know it's a truly radical idea, but you could always memorize them. I carry around about 17 passwords in my head and never forget.

Edited by blind7125, 25 January 2016 - 01:24 PM.

Posted Image

Muffinseeker said:

[3:06:31 PM] MuffinSeeker: Blind why do you like sex so much?

#8 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

View Postblind7125, on 25 January 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Those truly are the best places to start. However, I would point the finger at your GPU more than anything, considering this sound like the exact issue with the notorious 970's.

Start with testing the PSU since it's an easily accessible part. Go to best buy, buy one with more wattage than yours (this is to make up for their shit efficiency there.), and plug her in. If the PC works, awesome. If not, return it, sign up for Amazon Prime trial, order a cheap mobo, and wait two days. Rinse and repeat testing steps with future hardware.

I know it's a truly radical idea, but you could always memorize them. I carry around about 17 passwords in my head and never forget.

Yeah I wrote them all down and did this crude form of encryption, only I kinda misspelled shit... Gmail pass is no bueno ;(

Also would the GPU being dead cause the no POST beep or the keyboard not working? I also noticed a stutter while playing Grim Dawn but I chalked that up to my pc being not powerful enough to run max like I was, plus I was using windows 10 which was unsupported...

If I buy a mobo, I am pretty much shooting in the dark, but everyone seems to think it is the mobo and I agree.

#9 asmcint

asmcint

• 918 posts
  • Joined September 4, 2013
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

If it's a GPU issue there's an easy way to test: Unplug the GPU and hook your monitor up to your integrated graphics, assuming you have such.

#10 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

View Postasmcint, on 25 January 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

If it's a GPU issue there's an easy way to test: Unplug the GPU and hook your monitor up to your integrated graphics, assuming you have such.

I don't have an integrated hoochi mama card unfortunately.

#11 Sirenfal

Sirenfal

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed one man army

• 2665 posts
  • Joined March 30, 2008
  • Female
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

You won't hear POST beeps through your headphones. Buy an internal speaker that will hook up to the speaker output on your motherboard and connect it. Hearing a POST fail will tell us if some of your hardware (RAM/GPU) failed, or give us more information about whether the motherboard or PSU failed.

You'll need to check your motherboard manual (physical or PDF) to see where to connect it.

Order something like this: http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA0AJ3EH9302

And in the future... never ever build a computer without including an internal speaker in the build. They cost like $5 and save you so many headaches down the road
[7:57:52 PM] Sirenfal: How could you possibly think typing 'import skynet' was a good idea?
[8:27:58 PM] jadems2: It can't be any worse than the time we got drunk and imported com.mojang.skynet

Jade: Ah, the fantastic stability of Bukkit combined with the blazing speed of interpreting python in Java. Sounds ideal.

#12 Syphist

Syphist

Kawaii Piece of Shit

• 2974 posts
  • Joined June 13, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationThe Shoutbox

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

I will remember the internal speaker thing. That sounds really useful. Never heard about it until now.

OT: Basically what everyone else says. I have nothing new to add

~A-am I kawaii senpai?

Posted Image

Ask.fm | Steam | YouTube | Twitch.tv | Twitter | My Website

#13 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

MAKING PROGRESS!

So, if I unplug EVERYTHING but the heatsink, psu, stock fan, and leave a stick of RAM, I can use my keyboard again!

To further test, I plugged in my HDD, and it still allowed me to interact with my keyboard lights.

But... I plug my GPU in, and I no longer can interact with my keyboard.

I unplug everything BUT the GPU, it still fails, which leads me l believe this is caused by my PSU not giving shit enough power, or my GPU is fucked. And there still might be a possibility of the motherboard being fucked, I think?

Edit: yep. I plugged in my fan, and all my other USB shit in, and the keyboard still responds. Only when plugging in my GPU does it fail. I think I need a new GPU. If it still fails, I will send it back and get a new PSU. If it STILL dies after that, fuck it I'll get a new mobo.

Edited by RevanFuckedHisShitUp, 25 January 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#14 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Lol ok.
While fucking aroun and reseating my gpu, I noticed a tiny thing on it had blown. I am unfamiliar with the terminology. It looked like it had bled machine blood... The machine gods have taken their sacrifice...

Anyways case closed. I'd still like to know why it melted because my temps werent high, bur my card was an AMD an 3 years old, so...

Thanks everyone for the help! Time to buy a replacement!

#15 blind7125

blind7125

• 3029 posts
  • Male
  • LocationNether...

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:49 AM

View PostRevanFuckedHisShitUp, on 26 January 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

Lol ok.
While fucking aroun and reseating my gpu, I noticed a tiny thing on it had blown. I am unfamiliar with the terminology. It looked like it had bled machine blood... The machine gods have taken their sacrifice...

Anyways case closed. I'd still like to know why it melted because my temps werent high, bur my card was an AMD an 3 years old, so...

Thanks everyone for the help! Time to buy a replacement!

Was it cylindrical? That would be weird for there to be an electrolytic cap on there. Take a pic and upload it, you might be able to repair if you cannot RMA.

View PostSirenfal, on 25 January 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

-snip-

Most motherboards will use an LED to flash a code, or the increasingly common code displays.

Edited by blind7125, 26 January 2016 - 02:50 AM.

Posted Image

Muffinseeker said:

#16 RevanFuckedHisShitUp

RevanFuckedHisShitUp

• 8 posts
  • Male

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

View Postblind7125, on 26 January 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Was it cylindrical? That would be weird for there to be an electrolytic cap on there. Take a pic and upload it, you might be able to repair if you cannot RMA.

Most motherboards will use an LED to flash a code, or the increasingly common code displays.

My camera is shit but I tried.
Also I don't know what I was saying, its not a capacitor but its just a weird metal looking thing. Jesus I really need to learn this shit...
http://m.imgur.com/MWMsezk.jpg
Its small but you can see it. In the front right. Looks like bunny ears.

#17 blind7125

blind7125

• 3029 posts
  • Male
  • LocationNether...

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

For the thread.

Spoiler

The capacitors circled in blue (most likely the bottom most one) blew. Without the pcb documentation to see the route of the power delivery from the plug, I can't tell if the GPU or PSU is at fault. Buy both.

Edited by blind7125, 26 January 2016 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

Muffinseeker said:

#18 revan114

revan114

• 1610 posts
  • Joined February 25, 2012
  • Male
  • Location(redacted)

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:54 AM

I borrowed a friends GPU today and I booted up fine and all that, and I looked at my temps and saw my CPU idled at 60! Real nice. I am assuming my GPU was roasted because of all the Grim Dawn I played over the course of the week.

I reversed the fan on the top of my case so it is now an exhaust fan, and I've seen my temps improve so that my CPU is now idling at 45-50, which is still pretty shit, but it's less shit, and I'm probably not able to do any gaming for now until I get some thermal paste going.

Thanks for the help guise. I'm ordering a new card soon. I think I got a wageslave job at Walmart :^D
WUBA LUBA DUB DUB
*PointofLife=NULL;

#19 Puddleduck

Puddleduck

Limbs removed by the Grinch

• 3924 posts
  • Joined November 17, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationThe Tinterweb

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

If you're taking your cooler off take the opportunity to check and clean any dust out of your heatsink, and make sure you check any intake filters from time to time.

Posted Image

I'm a duck who doesn't afraid of anything.

Why not check out my YouTube channel here?

#20 blind7125

blind7125

• 3029 posts
  • Male
  • LocationNether...

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostRevanFuckedHisShitUp, on 25 January 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

Found problem: metal thing on videocard melted

Correction. A ceramic thing broke, overheated, and then melted the metal solder.

Edited by blind7125, 31 January 2016 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

Muffinseeker said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.