Constant internet downtimes during the week, but not weekend? Is my following conclusion incorrect?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GhostyToasty

GhostyToasty

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 9 posts
  • Joined June 18, 2015
  • Male

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hello,
You guys may immediately think I should post this in my ISP's forums, but they're not much help. This is quite an interesting occurrence, that I feel needs a legitimate answer.

My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity. I've been having constant downtimes for the past week, but not this/last weekend... I believe I know why this is happening. I live in a condo sort of building, there's 4 homes in this condo building. There's mine, and 3 neighbors. (I'm in an upstairs home of the condo, you'll see why this applies in a moment.)
The previous renters downstairs had moved out, and the owner of that home within the condo building I reside in, has been doing various changes in the downstairs home/area of the building that he owns. He has various people coming in and out of his home/area of the building constantly throughout the week, but only on weekdays. I feel that they might be doing something with the way this specific building receives internet, and this is why I think my home has been having issues with connection. Note: I had perfect connection last weekend from 2/27/16 to 2/28/16. This is Saturday and Sunday, which makes it unreasonable for the workers to be working downstairs. Therefore, it adds to my conclusion that they could be working through how the building uses connections?
I'm not the most well-informed on how routers, modems, home connections work. However, my home/area of the building has it's own modem/router (There were made into the same box for some reason.) that posseses two networks for my use. (2ghz network and a 5ghz one.)

I also have timestamps(If that's what to call it) of when I had downtimes today on 2/29/16. The constant internet downtimes are troublesome to me because, I enroll in online education. Therefore, it's integral that I have internet during the weekdays.

Note: The following times were today (2/29/16), and are in Eastern Standard Time (EST) I will edit this main post to add any further downtimes that occur today.

1:50 PM
2:16 PM

I'm able to get the networks back up and running again after downtimes, but only after replugging my modem/router combination.

Were my conclusions reasonable? If not, is there a possible issue that I missed and can fix? Is there anything I can do about it? I hadn't had this problem until the workers had started working on the downstairs home/area of the condo building.

Any advice is appreciated. Apologies if I entered this in the wrong section of the forum, or if this is even allowed on the forum.

Thanks.
"It says it on the sign right here, no tunnels...No redstone timers. Let's make tunnels and fill them with redstone timers and vehicles!"

~ Krysk

#2 Fusionblaster

Fusionblaster

• 8 posts
  • Joined February 29, 2016
  • Male

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostGhostyToasty, on 29 February 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

My ISP is Comcast/Xfinity

Well there's your problem right there

#3 iPickedScout

iPickedScout

Lunchbox, Master of Racism

• 666 posts
  • Joined June 11, 2012
  • Male

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

From what I understand they only started the work last week? This hasn't been happening for multiple weeks now? If that's the case, and they continue work this week, see if the same thing occurs. With Comcast, I know they share bandwidth with everyone in your area, so at peak times (usually on the weekends, which is why it being in the afternoon on a weekday is odd) most people experience a worse connection. Reading what you said, I first thought maybe they were hitting/cutting some of the wires, but if you had no problems on the weekend that obviously isn't the case.

You could call up Comcast, and wait the 10-15 minutes to actually speak to a representative, and schedule someone to come out. They usually are pretty good about scheduling it quickly, even more so if you tell them that you need the internet for work/school and to see if they can book an appointment soon. When they come out i'm sure they'll be able to find the problem.

Even with all the shit people give Comcast, when they DO come out, at least for me, whatever issue i've had usually gets resolved.
Team Lunchbox Leader.

WhatsCS said:

That's because you have an innate fear of vibrators.

Vosenbergen said:

It's like a cute little lion baby, except its penis is inside of her.

THE PROXY RULE: How many proxies do you need? 18 - age of the girl you're watching

#4 GhostyToasty

GhostyToasty

• 9 posts
  • Joined June 18, 2015
  • Male

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostiPickedScout, on 29 February 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

From what I understand they only started the work last week? This hasn't been happening for multiple weeks now? If that's the case, and they continue work this week, see if the same thing occurs. With Comcast, I know they share bandwidth with everyone in your area, so at peak times (usually on the weekends, which is why it being in the afternoon on a weekday is odd) most people experience a worse connection. Reading what you said, I first thought maybe they were hitting/cutting some of the wires, but if you had no problems on the weekend that obviously isn't the case.

You could call up Comcast, and wait the 10-15 minutes to actually speak to a representative, and schedule someone to come out. They usually are pretty good about scheduling it quickly, even more so if you tell them that you need the internet for work/school and to see if they can book an appointment soon. When they come out i'm sure they'll be able to find the problem.

Even with all the shit people give Comcast, when they DO come out, at least for me, whatever issue i've had usually gets resolved.

Thanks for the response. The issues had only started last week, and I believe that's when I started seeing/hearing workers downstairs. (Saw them walk through the door/heard hammer noises.) In terms of bandwidth being shared with the area, I have a friend who lives two houses down. As far as I know, he's had perfect connection all week. I ended up having issues with downtimes today. (three times) but there were no workers downstairs today. (May have missed them, I was gone from 6 AM to 12 PM this morning.)  The downtimes (3/1/16) are as follows

1:17 PM
5:09 PM
5:20 PM

No workers were working/downstairs at the time of these occurrences. (Two of these downtimes happened within the hour of me posting this.)

Ironically, my parents had setup with a Comcast member to arrive and sort out things, but they cancelled it last weekend because they thought everything was working fine again... (I'm a minor, can't set things up.)  I'll have to have them setup another arrival to help fix this issue. I'm wondering if it's the modem/router, and that the lack of downtimes last weekend was an odd coincidence.

Edited by GhostyToasty, 01 March 2016 - 05:46 PM.

"It says it on the sign right here, no tunnels...No redstone timers. Let's make tunnels and fill them with redstone timers and vehicles!"

~ Krysk

#5 Fusionblaster

Fusionblaster

• 8 posts
  • Joined February 29, 2016
  • Male

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

In all sincerity, Comcast is shit, and you need to go to a company that won't keep fucking you over. The sooner you can scrap them, the sooner your internet will be better. That I can assure you.

#6 asmcint

asmcint

• 930 posts
  • Joined September 4, 2013
  • Male

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostFusionblaster, on 01 March 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

In all sincerity, Comcast is shit, and you need to go to a company that won't keep fucking you over. The sooner you can scrap them, the sooner your internet will be better. That I can assure you.

You're assuming that this person even has a decent choice in provider, which is quite frankly rare. Most areas you'll only be able to get one broadband provider. Now quit using this thread as a Comcast hate vent and offer some advice that's actually useful to the situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.