Any way to install Android apps/data to external SD card?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 asmcint

asmcint

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 932 posts
  • Joined September 4, 2013
  • Male

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

Having trouble with my Android tablet. Specifically, it has 8GB of internal storage space, just over 4GB of which holds the device's firmware. That leaves somewhere around 3.75GB for app storage. Should be enough, right? Nah. Most of it is taken up by system apps, even after uninstalling most of their updates and clearing the caches they've accumulated. Specifically after doing all that, I had just over a gigabyte remaining, and thus proceeded to download Kingdom Hearts Unchained X. Installed just fine, but oh shit! The game needs to download additional files, and apparently the .98GB of storage I have left is insufficient. If it could install to my external SD card which currently has over 14GB remaining, then that'd work great! But it won't. Is there any way I can work around this, preferably without rooting the system and thereby voiding my warranty? It runs Android 5.0, just so you know.

Edited by asmcint, 09 April 2016 - 11:01 PM.

#2 Kavemium

Kavemium

Cult Leader

• 1939 posts
  • Joined January 12, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationAustralia, m8

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

It depends on what brand of tablet you have. Some do or do not allow transferring apps to the SD card, and I've read that Android versions from 4.something to 6.0.1 do not support some methods by default. I have a phone that once allowed it but when I updated it, didn't.

If you've rooted the device there may be some other solutions.

<3.1415

#3 asmcint

asmcint

• 932 posts
  • Male

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:16 PM

View PostKavemium, on 09 April 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

It depends on what brand of tablet you have. Some do or do not allow transferring apps to the SD card, and I've read that Android versions from 4.something to 6.0.1 do not support some methods by default. I have a phone that once allowed it but when I updated it, didn't.

If you've rooted the device there may be some other solutions.

As I said I do not want to root the device, running an RCA 7 inch tablet with Android 5.0

#4 majesty327

majesty327

• 1644 posts
  • Joined July 22, 2011
  • Male

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:40 AM

It really depends on what you use your tablet for, and how much clutter you keep around.
For me, it's not nearly enough since I download a lot of shit, and keep all my D&D books (i have like 200) on my phone.
Posted Image
"O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world
That has such people in't!"

#5 asmcint

asmcint

• 932 posts
  • Male

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

View Postmajesty327, on 10 April 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

It really depends on what you use your tablet for, and how much clutter you keep around.
For me, it's not nearly enough since I download a lot of shit, and keep all my D&D books (i have like 200) on my phone.

I... how does it depend? I specifically gave you my exact usage situation, and it's a situation where the only dependency is seemingly how big of dicks Google and RCA are.

#6 Kavemium

Kavemium

Cult Leader

• 1939 posts
  • Joined January 12, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationAustralia, m8

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

Go to the system settings application manager and find an installed app. If there's a button that says "move to SD card", press it (this can only be done after installation though).
Google Play settings may also have a "default download location" setting.
Alternatively you can try downloading an "app to SD" app from the store, but these might not work unless you're rooted (but some might even if not, I haven't bothered trying them all).

<3.1415

#7 Jihadi_John

Jihadi_John

• 18 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2016
  • Male

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

View Postasmcint, on 09 April 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

Having trouble with my Android tablet. Specifically, it has 8GB of internal storage space, just over 4GB of which holds the device's firmware. That leaves somewhere around 3.75GB for app storage. Should be enough, right? Nah. Most of it is taken up by system apps, even after uninstalling most of their updates and clearing the caches they've accumulated. Specifically after doing all that, I had just over a gigabyte remaining, and thus proceeded to download Kingdom Hearts Unchained X. Installed just fine, but oh shit! The game needs to download additional files, and apparently the .98GB of storage I have left is insufficient. If it could install to my external SD card which currently has over 14GB remaining, then that'd work great! But it won't. Is there any way I can work around this, preferably without rooting the system and thereby voiding my warranty? It runs Android 5.0, just so you know.
It would help if you got an Ipad since android is shit

#8 AGUYWITHAPC

AGUYWITHAPC

• 183 posts
  • Joined December 7, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationLancaster Texas

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostJihadi_John, on 13 April 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

It would help if you got an Ipad since android is shit
Woah there big fella.

Also to answer your question i think theres something called root toolbox that you can download that has the move to sd option. You dont have to root the the phone to get the app or move to sd, and its free. I hate that i can't do it by default anymore.
Posted Image

#9 asmcint

asmcint

• 932 posts
  • Male

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostAGUYWITHAPC, on 13 April 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Woah there big fella.

Also to answer your question i think theres something called root toolbox that you can download that has the move to sd option. You dont have to root the the phone to get the app or move to sd, and its free. I hate that i can't do it by default anymore.

Is it available on Google Play, or through web-based download? If the latter preferably somewhere reputable?

#10 Jihadi_John

Jihadi_John

• 18 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2016
  • Male

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:52 PM

View Postasmcint, on 14 April 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Is it available on Google Play, or through web-based download? If the latter preferably somewhere reputable?
one of the apps i use on my galaxy s3 called battery doctor asks when i install the game if i want to move/install it to sd card, if not if you go in to settings then app settings you should be able to move it to sd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.