#1 AnalAvenger

AnalAvenger

The Butthole Bomber

• 1740 posts
  • Joined August 21, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:26 AM

So, two weeks into the summer, I woke up to find that my PC's power supply had failed. I've been without a computer all summer, which is a relatively big thing if you know me. However, tonight, I was moving a shelf to clear out space for a new desk to fit in my room. On the shelf, I found my first PSU that I replaced because it wasn't a very reputable unit.

On a whim, I decided to try putting it back into my rig to see if it worked. The only issue I had plugging it up was that some of the cables wouldn't reach, or wouldn't fit properly. I decided to take matters into my own hands, and simply built the computer with the PSU on the outside. I present to you, a genuine fire hazard.

Posted Image

My question is, how likely is this to explode? The main reason I ask is because I had to use two adapters just to supply my 390X. I had to use a 6-to-8pin adapter for one, as well as a Molex-to-6pin for the other connector. This is only a temporary setup which should only be used for two weeks or so.

The PSU is a CoolMax something or other.

EDIT: Fixed the text being transparent for some ungodly reason.

Edited by AnalAvenger, 28 July 2016 - 03:30 AM.

Steam: http://www.steamcomm...m/id/trevor47th

I play games, that's pretty much all I do.

#2 iPickedScout

iPickedScout

Lunchbox, Master of Racism

• 667 posts
  • Joined June 11, 2012
  • Male

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

You're fine. It being out of the case isn't really a hazard. A bunch of people don't use cases, they make their own rigs and have everything out in the open.
Team Lunchbox Leader.

WhatsCS said:

That's because you have an innate fear of vibrators.

Vosenbergen said:

It's like a cute little lion baby, except its penis is inside of her.

THE PROXY RULE: How many proxies do you need? 18 - age of the girl you're watching

#3 Keit1h

Keit1h

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 35 posts
  • Joined May 17, 2015
  • Male

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

Coolmax PSU's are basically beefy OEM units. That being said, as long as you don't do any overclocking or anything stupid you should be alright. It's also not dangerous to have it outside of the case as far as I know.

BUT...

Because of the system you're running, it would be of your best interest to get it replaced as soon as you can.

#4 majesty327

majesty327

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 1644 posts
  • Joined July 22, 2011
  • Male

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

The main issue is cleaning.
On one hand, your computer is more exposed to the elements, so you definitely need to be careful about what you bring around it.
On the other, dusting is easier than ever.
Posted Image
"O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world
That has such people in't!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.