2 replies to this topic

#1 PigHunter

PigHunter

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 874 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2011
  • Male

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:38 AM

I need a laptop, my life is at a point, and will remain at a point, where a desktop will be impractical. So I want a laptop but I also want to play vidya gaems and not have to worry about shit battery life, termal throttling, and the hot mess that comes with having a super nice gpu in a laptop. I don't play videogames while out and about with the thing, so an external GPU is a good solution from what I can tell. Whether or not the eGPU is plug and play or not isn't a big deal as scripts can be written. I also do not have a shit load of cash at the moment, so I can't really afford a computer with a big fancy GPU and will be adding on the eGPU a bit later.

I was looking at the Thinkpad p50, which is an excellent workstation by lenovo, but the price is point is huge. Bonus is the GPU that comes with the thing is excellent for CAD work which I do from time to time; and it's good enough to hold me over until I can afford the eGPU. Some of MSI's laptops fit well except most don't have thunderbolt 3 ports.

I was wondering what laptops with a really excellent CPU are on the market; I don't give a shit about the GPU that comes with it. It should also have at least 8 gigs of ram. Weight does not matter. I'd prefer to keep the screen size between 16.1" and 14.5". A nice display is a bonus. A thunderbolt 3 port is an absolute must or the eGPU will run like shit. My budget is ~$1,100. I can go a little over if need be if there's an excellent option. Cheaper is better, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for money as this will be my everyday driver. I've been shopping for like 7 hours stright as I just had a laptop die on me and need a replacement ASAP.

Even telling me what some solid laptop CPUs would be a big help. There's so many laptops on the market right now it's overwhelming as fuck through them all. Something to narrow down my searches beyond "Thunderbolt 3 port" would be a great help.

tl;dr: need a laptop with a gr8 cpu with a shit gpu and a thunderbolt 3 port. Budget ~$1,100

pls send help 'n god bless

Edited by PigHunter, 09 September 2016 - 07:55 AM.

Dildo

#2 RkRx-Pro

RkRx-Pro

The Master Baiter

• 1610 posts
  • Joined August 3, 2009
  • Male

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Was in your position few months ago, here's the two that I was deciding from, hope it helps!

XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/...-9350-laptop/pd
Razer blade stealth: http://www.razerzone...r-blade-stealth

edit: razer blade stealth has full compatibility with razer core, but razer core might work with all thunderbolt yet to be confirmed or not iirc.

Edited by RkRx-Pro, 09 September 2016 - 04:43 PM.

Posted Image

#3 PigHunter

PigHunter

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 874 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2011
  • Male

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

View PostRkRx-Pro, on 09 September 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

Was in your position few months ago, here's the two that I was deciding from, hope it helps!

XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/...-9350-laptop/pd
Razer blade stealth: http://www.razerzone...r-blade-stealth

edit: razer blade stealth has full compatibility with razer core, but razer core might work with all thunderbolt yet to be confirmed or not iirc.
They're refusing to say if it will or not. I'm not too worried about compatibility now, as BIOS updates will likely bring eGPU support, all you need is the newer pcie 4.3x, as it wont have a bandwidth bottleneck. There's also plenty of other eGPU housings being developed, and a number of far cheaper DIY options that have been or are developed.

I narrowed it down to two laptops, at the same price, from the same series after like 14 hours or so of research. Maybe more, I've been up for 29 hours or so and it's hard to tell at this point. They're both from the Aspire V Nitro series of laptops from Acer. The difference between the two is one has 8 gigs of ram and a 4780 Lithium Polymer battery, and the other has 16 gigs of ram and 1680 Lithium Ion battery. I don't know enough about batteries just yet to make the decision. So I have just a tiny bit more research a head until I settle on a model and shop around for the best deal.

All in all I'm really happy with this choice.
Dildo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.