#1 Lynx OGrady

Lynx OGrady

Limbs removed by the Grinch

• 1637 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2011
  • Male
  • Location22 Acacia Avenue

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Alright gents, so I finally got an upgrade to my PC a year back. This was a home built PC, everything, from the ground up, the only thing that got saved was the CD drive. Anyway, so that meant I got a new motherboard and, I have been having problems getting windows 7 Pro to be recognized as a genuine version of windows. The first time i had this issue, my roommate at the time suggested that I was having issues because the version of Windows i was trying to run was already registered on the old PC's motherboard (Windows 7 home), so trying to register that same version on another motherboard was throwing issues. So he then gives me a disc for a Windows 7 Pro upgrade. I go through the whole rodeo to get it upgraded to pro... which now it is... however after 30 days, it cuts out again and im prompted with a screen four times a day saying my version of Windows isn't genuine.

What i've done thus far:
I did call windows support at one point and they gave me a couple more product ID's to try, which did not work. they even did a remote access (which didn't go over too well with me) to see that yes, I wasn't lying about the shit not working.

Today, i tried again for shits and giggles to see if the it'll take the upgrade product key again (Control Panel/ System and Security/ System) it takes the product key and attempts to verify it, only to have it fail and im given an error code of "0x80070005", with a description of "Access Denied".

My computer has only one profile, which is mine, which means its the Administrator profile. I went online and searched this error code, and all Microsoft's page does is recommend a program called "Total System Care" which is a bullshit thing that pretends to scan your system and finds problems. Only thing is, when you click "Fix" it prompts you with a "Buy now for $xx.xx"

I dont want to install this program since im thoroughly convinced there is something I can do without all this hassle of dealing with Microsoft's best in Customer Service or installing a bunch of shit, So im here to pick your guy's brains.

Also... If its needed, here are my system's spec:

Processor: AMD FX-6300
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Ram: 8GB sticks of DDR3 (four sticks total for 32GB)
Graphics: MSI N770 Twin Frozr (NVidia GTX-770 chipset)

Other Ancillary bits:
120GB SanDisk SSD (windows boots to this)
Toshiba 3TB (storage and backup)
500W power supply
Corsair liquid cooler
Fans for days

Any other info needed available upon request

Edited by Lynx OGrady, 29 September 2016 - 07:15 AM.

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well, The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams... it's Heaven and Hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white, The moon is just the sun at night, And when you walk in golden halls, You get to keep the gold that falls, It's Heaven and Hell

#2 asmcint

asmcint

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 928 posts
  • Joined September 4, 2013
  • Male

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Were the keys used intended for OEM machines? If so it's in the license terms that only one machine can be legitimately activated.

#3 Lynx OGrady

Lynx OGrady

Limbs removed by the Grinch

• 1637 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2011
  • Male
  • Location22 Acacia Avenue

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

View Postasmcint, on 29 September 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Were the keys used intended for OEM machines? If so it's in the license terms that only one machine can be legitimately activated.

Yea, the product ID i got for the first install was on a sticker on the tower of my old PC. the second is a Win 7 Pro upgrade disk, which sits on my desk here with me now

Even after using the upgrade ID, i had issues, which makes me think, does the upgrade use whatever version of Windows as a base? So if its an illegitimate copy, it'll just be a shit upgrade.
They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well, The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams... it's Heaven and Hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white, The moon is just the sun at night, And when you walk in golden halls, You get to keep the gold that falls, It's Heaven and Hell

#4 Xero-Space

Xero-Space

I wish I had a usertitle

• 5452 posts
  • Joined November 28, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationWhere I am

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

Look at this:
https://support.micr...en-us/kb/968003

Edited by Xero-Space, 29 September 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#5 asmcint

asmcint

• 928 posts
  • Joined September 4, 2013
  • Male

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostXero-Space, on 29 September 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Failing that, you may have to call Microsoft's activation hotline. They're generally pretty understanding and might be able to get you running, though since the base OS install was outside of license you shouldn't expect a solution.

#6 blind7125

blind7125

• 3034 posts
  • Joined January 30, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationNether...

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostLynx OGrady, on 29 September 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

My computer has only one profile, which is mine, which means its the Administrator profile. I went online and searched this error code, and all Microsoft's page does is recommend a program called "Total System Care" which is a bullshit thing that pretends to scan your system and finds problems. Only thing is, when you click "Fix" it prompts you with a "Buy now for $xx.xx"

Oh no, neither of these are true at all, with the latter presenting possible malware.

On the first point, you are the only user, not the only profile. Windows has multiple accounts hidden and distinct from you, with the important one being administrators. You can log in to this account yourself. If files or programs report permission denied, a good starting place is to make sure Administrators and your account have appropriate permissions.

On the Total System Care, Microsoft will NEVER reccomend a "system cleaner or optimizer". In fact, they directly advocate against the use of such programs. You'll find their support forums clearly doing so for this very program. I don't know what website you stumbled upon, but Microsoft's articles regarding this error do not recommend this program. All I can find are articles on it's uselessness or as possible malware. Microsoft has already provided you optimization tools in the forms of chkdsk, disk defragmentation, disk cleanup, SFC, DISM, among a variety of others.

Edited by blind7125, 29 September 2016 - 02:06 PM.

Posted Image

Muffinseeker said:

[3:06:31 PM] MuffinSeeker: Blind why do you like sex so much?

#7 BeeJesus

BeeJesus

• 1335 posts
  • Joined February 20, 2012
  • Male
  • LocationThe Kool Kid Klub

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

It sounds like you've picked up some sort of malware. There's never a good time to reinstall Windows, so just reinstall now before you start entrusting important documents/work to a compromised computer. After that, just use DazLoader, which is (anecdotally) considered fairly safe. I'm sure there's some clause that makes it illegal to circumvent their DRM, but it's not like Microsoft has ever really given a shit about it, and you do legally own a copy.

Posted Image

MOLTEN NIPPLE MOUNDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.