#1 Lynx OGrady

Lynx OGrady

Limbs removed by the Grinch

• 1646 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2011
  • Male
  • Location22 Acacia Avenue

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

So Hollywood's crack at a much loved anime series. Yes! lets make a live action film adaptation! There's no way this'll go wrong (Dragon Ball Evolution......)

So, if you're following this with anticipation like me, you'll know that;

It stars Black Widow... erm... I mean Lucy... no! I mean Scarlett Johansson
People are pissed about it not being an Asian actress (it's funny that actual Japanese people don't see this as a problem)
Apparently, there was some white washing
It's not quite clear who the antagonist is, so we're left guessing if its The Laughing Man, The Puppet Master, or another made up entity.

Like most shit I post that has either mixed thoughts or has yet to come out, Im biting my tongue, hoping this will pan out well considering GITS: Stand Alone Complex was a favorite on Toonami for me and tons more.

Extra: This is KI Theory, and their cover of Enjoy The Silence (Originally from Depeche Mode)

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well, The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams... it's Heaven and Hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white, The moon is just the sun at night, And when you walk in golden halls, You get to keep the gold that falls, It's Heaven and Hell

#2 Legion

Legion

Servant of Chuck Knoblock the one armed long arm of the Law

• 1253 posts
  • Joined May 8, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

I sadly have no faith in the movie industry to make something that was even half as good as the original GitS.

But that works in their favor, I'm going to come into it with no expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. As for the whitewashing thing... That's always a weird area for anime, because most of their characters are non distinct. It's hard to tell who the fuck they should be in an adaptation. At least the major's boss (I forget his name) is asian like he should be.
  SPQR   ///////  SOUNDCLOUD   ///////  BANDCAMP
Posted Image

#3 GenericSkid

GenericSkid

• 44 posts
  • Joined July 21, 2016
  • Male

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

The original was better

https://www.youtube....h?v=diT3FvDHMyo

Edited by GenericSkid, 08 February 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#4 Remy

Remy

• 475 posts
  • Joined August 14, 2014
  • Male

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

Well, Kenji Kawai is slated to compose the soundtrack for it and Masamune Shirow has his eyes on almost every part of the production to make sure that they stay true to the source material, as well as his approval of casting Scar Jo as Motoko Kusanagi. But let's be real here. This movie has every possible opportunity to completely and utterly fuck up the prospect of Hollywood ever making another live-action anime adaptation ever again. After Dragging Ballsack: Devolution, this movie is their last chance to do an anime justice.

Posted Image

#5 dejordzta

dejordzta

Scrooge

• 1937 posts
  • Joined August 2, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationKiwiland :D

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

I'm biased because of my ties with Weta, so I personally can't wait to get in to the movies and see the work that friends of mine have done. I do have to agree with the whitewashing aspect of Hollywood, however. It's sad that there was no belief that an asian actress could fill the role and it still be as successful..
Legion: Pleasing her is like having to do standup comedy at the Nuremberg trials.
Sirenfal: Dejordzta you magnificent bastard

Posted Image

#6 117

• 21 posts
  • Joined January 30, 2013
  • Male

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Recently Hollywood has just been desperate to stay as relevant as possible. Will the Movie be bad? - Possibly, hollywood has been making quite a few fuck ups recently. Is it bad that White persons were cast for the Movie? - No and kinda.
when your mate smok dat dank weed :/

#7 Remy

Remy

• 475 posts
  • Joined August 14, 2014
  • Male

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

View Postdejordzta, on 08 February 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

I'm biased because of my ties with Weta, so I personally can't wait to get in to the movies and see the work that friends of mine have done. I do have to agree with the whitewashing aspect of Hollywood, however. It's sad that there was no belief that an asian actress could fill the role and it still be as successful..

I won't deny for a second that most Asian actresses can out perform Scarlett (Seriously, has Hollywood already forgotten about Michelle Yo?) Still, you can't deny the resemblance between Motoko from the 1995 anime and Scar Jo from the 2017 movie (except for the hair style. I mean come on, it looks nothing like the anime! Just make it lengthier and moose the crap out of it, it's not hard):

Posted Image

Another thing to point out is that Motoko wasn't the most 'emotive' individual in the whole movie. The animators made sure to not animate her blinking at any point in the movie to give her more of that doll-like aesthetic, as well as making her more reserved emotionally to help project the image of her being a strong, capable soldier and natural-born leader. The manga had her being more emotionally open and expressive, which Masamune wanted to change for the movie and instead have her grow into the squad leader of Section 9 in Stand Alone Complex, which follows the manga much more closely.

Edited by Remy, 08 February 2017 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Lynx OGrady

Lynx OGrady

• 1646 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2011
  • Male

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

One person i did see suggested by people was Rinko Kikuchi; Notably, she played Mako Mori in Pacific Rim.
Posted Image

I mean, yea, I can almost see a good resemblance between her and Motoko, but one thing that was also brought up is... who else, besides Pacific Rim fans, knows who Rinko Kikuchi is? on the other hand, who doesn't know who Scarlett Johansson is? Big names = Big profits? (Hollywood thought process im sure)

Really, they should live action anime adaptions to Japanese film companies. I mean, look at this Ruroni Kenshin live action

They say that life's a carousel, Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well, The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams... it's Heaven and Hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white, The moon is just the sun at night, And when you walk in golden halls, You get to keep the gold that falls, It's Heaven and Hell

#9 Lynx OGrady

Lynx OGrady

• 1646 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2011
  • Male

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

FUCK!!!! Fucking Hollywood went with a Cliche' plot.....

Fuck....

#10 greengreens1

greengreens1

• 501 posts
  • Joined September 10, 2011
  • Male
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostLynx OGrady, on 13 February 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Fuck....

Man I was kinda hyped really....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Edited by greengreens1, 13 February 2017 - 06:04 PM.

Onees for days

Steam: http://steamcommunit.../uncoloredspoon
PSN: greengreens123

#11 Remy

Remy

• 475 posts
  • Joined August 14, 2014
  • Male

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostLynx OGrady, on 13 February 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Fuck....

That'll teach me to not have faith in Hollywood anymore.

Posted Image

#12 Saitocron

Saitocron

• 63 posts
  • Joined July 16, 2016
  • Female

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

https://www.rottento..._the_shell_2017

Results are in, bois.
Movie tanked with only $18M opening weekend.

I use this font ironically.

#13 Remy

Remy

• 475 posts
  • Joined August 14, 2014
  • Male

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:37 AM

View PostSaitocron, on 06 April 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

https://www.rottento..._the_shell_2017

Results are in, bois.
Movie tanked with only $18M opening weekend.

I went in and saw this with my brother and sister, and as someone who loves the original anime, the TV series and the manga, I was very anxious. Were they going to butcher it into a dubstep-ridden shit fest with a dumbed down and ham-fisted plot, horrible acting, shoehorned LGBT bullshit and shit CGI with no props or sets? Or was it going to do the anime justice? Well, here are my thoughts:

The movie was alright.

Let's get the bad out of the way first. It took far too many liberties with the story and a lot of the subtext and philosophical quandaries the manga and anime presented were dumbed down to an insulting degree to bring in a wider audience, which ended up being the movie's ultimate downfall. The villain was pretty weak and didn't have a single unique trait about his character (insert your stereotypical "They betrayed me, now they must die! WAAHHH!" motivation here). The film looks like it's gone through multiple re-shoots and too often scenes ended abruptly with no clear reason as to why; a clear indication that this movie was cut to shit and a lot of scenes were left on the cutting room floor. The Major's backstory is as boring and unsurprising as you'd expect, with the 'WUT A TWEEST!' reveal being as easy to spot as an erection in a skintight leotard. The lesbian tease in the trailer thankfully didn't lead anywhere and didn't result in aforementioned LGBT tumblrmite deuce juice. And lastly, fuck this movie for having a PG-13 rating.

Now for the positives:

Takeshi Kitano as Aramaki, Chin Han as Togusa and Pilou Asbaek as Batou were all pretty damn good with Takeshi stealing almost every scene he's in, as well as Pilou nailing Batou's humanity and casual bro-tier humour with the Major. Scar Jo did an alright job as the Major, with some scenes in the movie proving she's still a capable actor. The two crowning achievements in this film however, were the visuals and the soundtrack. For the visuals, you have props and sets in nearly every scene, the neon lights of the Neo Tokyo skyline were beautifully realised and the blending of CGI elements and live-action choreography worked remarkably well. However, the CGI in some scenes left me giggling at how silly they looked (such as a rubberised Scar Jo jumping from building to building). Clint Mansell did a great job at composing the soundtrack for the film and in some respects outdid Kenji Kawai's original composition. And you'll be glad to hear that Steve Aoki's horrifyingly shit remix is nowhere to be seen in the entire movie.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. Not great, not shit but definitely not worth the ticket price. Wait until you can rent it, or when it hits Netflix.

Edited by Remy, 12 April 2017 - 01:40 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to our forum! We would like to encourage you to contribute to our community by posting and talking in the shoutbox.

Please consider joining us by logging in or registering.